A gay girl's experience in online dating...

Wednesday 3 November 2010

Is Earthlings taken?

It took me a while to come up with the name. Best Friend Nora and I brainstormed for about two hours trying to come up with a snappy title, which we failed at entirely, but did end up with a few options. Best Friend Nora tried really hard to get me to call it The LUNAcy of Online Dating but I am 100% against puns that use my name. I heard enough of those when I was a kid, growing up on the mean streets of Glasgow (just kidding I grew up in the suburbs, the streets were not mean at all. They were mostly kind and very well lit). Other ideas we came up with included:
  • The Misadventures of Online Lesbian Dating (but then we realised that would be MOLD for short, and that does not sound sexy at all. I am not going to call it that)
  • Luna McKavanagh and the Online Dating Experience (like Harry Potter! If Harry were female, gay, single and looking to meet some ladies)
  • Dating Online: A Gay Escapade (neither of us liked this one, I don’t even know where it came from. It’s a ridiculous name. We kept trying to blame each other for coming up with it.)
  • Desperately Seeking Luna (I liked this one for a good hour until I realised it didn’t make any sense. I’m fairly sure no one is looking for me. That’s the problem. And desperation is never going to be a good thing in this situation. I really don’t know why I liked it in the first place).
  • L for Luna. (Best Friend Nora: L, like as in the L Word. Don't all lesbians love the L Word? People might read it if the think it's related.)
So anyway, I eventually decided on The Misadventures of Luna McKavanagh. Because that’s really all it is. Me talking about stuff that’s happens in my life. Anything else seemed presumptuous. I hate it when people try to speak for me. Nothing irritates me more than someone starts a sentence with ‘As a woman / lesbian / brunette / Christian / person who doesn’t like mushrooms, I feel...’ Unless you have taken a poll and found that an overwhelming majority agree with you, you can’t be spokesperson whole subset people. You have feelings. That’s ok. You don’t need to justify them by claiming to represent everyone else. Just feel your feelings. They’re perfectly valid on their own.

I’m not trying to represent the any faction of the world’s population right now. I’m not trying to tell “our stories”. Chaiken can keep that one. I don’t understand the ‘our’ being referred to here. These stories had almost nothing to do with me. Except for the pretty ladies. That part was relevant to my interests.

I’m not really sure what it is I’m trying to do anything right now. I’m just typing and hoping words will be formed. If I’m telling anyone’s story it’s only my own and it doesn’t matter if anyone is listening or not. I’m just going to have some fun telling it.

No comments:

Post a Comment